HSM Adminisaurus DFSMShsm Manager
HSM Adminisaurus (HSA) is a consolidated DFSMShsm management tool for the novice or the expert that provides extensive reporting, comprehensive auditing, in-depth processing analysis, and simplified administrative functions to help you establish and maintain a healthy HSM environment. HSA allows proactive management to maximize storage utilization, optimize physical resources, and conserve time to ensure availability and business continuity.
HSA audits, interrogates, compiles reports, and provides error correction facilities on current and historical mission critical data managed within the HSM environment. HSA contains health analysis processing to save time and money by reducing the time and effort required to manage and maximize the contribution of HSM.
Enhancements in HSM Adminisaurus 3.1 further simplify the effort of maintaining an effective and efficient DFSMShsm environment. The process of analyzing and understanding what is occurring within DFSMShsm and the storage environment is made easier with more health checks, more reporting, and greater auditing options.
New Health Checks Available
- Volumes with indexed VTOCs are checked for inactive or disabled indexes to help maintain maximum volume performance.
- Additional migration data checks are made to ensure data is being moved between primary DASD and migration volumes in a timely manner and that the safety of the data is preserved.
- Volumes expecting interval migration processing have their activity verified to ensure sufficient space is available on primary DASD volumes.
- Data sets residing on ML1 DASD volumes have their age checked to make sure data is being moved between ML1 and ML2 volumes as it should, ensuring migration processing is not impeded and primary DASD volumes are not left with old data tying up needed volume space.
- Migrated data sets are checked for valid backup copies. Without a valid backup copy, migrated data is in jeopardy of being lost if the data set is deleted.
- Tapes are checked to verify that they are in a valid status allowing DFSMShsm to maximize individual tape usage and minimize the number of tapes being used.
- DFSMShsm held or disabled functions are flagged for review. Held and disabled functions may prevent DFSMShsm from properly managing the storage environment.
Real-Time and Historical DFSMShsm Reporting
- Over 50 new reports have been added. Ranging from basic reporting on DFSMShsm data to full analysis of and summarization of DFSMShsm processing. With these new reports, the administration of DFSMShsm is made easier allowing for greater DFSMShsm effectiveness.
- New DFSMShsm activity summary reports provide a high level overview of DFSMShsm processing keeping the administrator quickly informed of how healthy DFSMShsm is. Activity is summarized by:
- High level qualifier
- Job name
- User identifier
- DFSMShsm action using hourly trending
- Auto function summary and detail – migration, backup, dump, and recycle
Fast and Precise Auditing
- New AUDIT of ML1 volume content validates the data residing on the migration level 1 volume. If the data found is not the most current version of a data set or if the CDS records describing the data have a discrepancy, it is reported. This ensures that the data is usable and can be recalled when needed.
- New automatic fix facility allows for fixes to be applied at the time an audit is executed rather than later through the ISPF interface. IBM recommended fixes are flagged making it easy to select the best fix for the errors that are detected, minimizing the storage administrator’s time and effort to maintain the DFSMShsm environment.
- Performance improvements to existing audits have been made to allow for greater throughput and lower resource consumption by the audits.