ETJ First Impression: T-REX V7.3
New T-REX V 7.3 From Dino-Software Delivers Added Functionality
By Denny Yost, ETJ Magazine (5-minute read)
If you have ever been responsible for maintaining ICF catalogs and VSAM clusters, it probably reminds you of playing the arcade game Whac-A-Mole. Just when you think everything is under control, a broken index is detected for a VSAM object. Or, the CA/CI splits you fixed the other day, really didn’t get fixed. Or, the myriad of other fun things that can go wrong decide to do so on a Friday afternoon at a busy time for your company or organization. Can you still remember the feeling you experienced the last time it happened?
Dino-Software continues to excel at taking on and easing the challenge of working with VSAM files and catalogs through its T-REX product solution. T-REX is a proven mainframe utility that analyzes, diagnoses, reorganizes, reports, backs-up and repairs clusters and assists with the overall maintenance to ensure continuous operational capabilities of the ICF catalog components in a z/OS environment.
For many years, T-REX has aided in the monitoring and maintenance of catalog and cluster health to minimize this tedious and time-consuming task. T-REX provides invaluable assistance to those professionals tasked with ensuring the ICF environment and VSAM clusters perform with consistency, accuracy and reliability by delivering:
- Reduced downtime by ensuring optimal cluster and catalog health at all times
- Extensive use of multitasking to improve throughput for T-REX processing
- Improved data availability and recoverability by allowing more frequent back-ups
- Easy and quick repair of cluster and catalog index errors
- Complete support for the recataloging of multivolume data sets
- Easy REORG of catalogs while open and being processed by online and/or batch systems
- Detection of hardware changes and dynamically adjusting performance parameters to ensure optimal processing
- HSM CDS auditing and reporting
- Identification and repair of discrepancies between cataloged tape data sets and your Tape Management Catalogs
- Support for all the main TMCs on the market today (e.g., CA 1, Control-T, RMM, etc.)
- Easy to use reports.
T-REX provides standard reports emulating IDCAMS LISTCAT output, but provides a much higher degree of selectivity coupled with high-speed performance. In fact, almost every attribute and characteristic of a cataloged data set entry can be used as selection criteria, including “Boolean” operator support for variable values. With a proper plan for implementing proactive diagnostics, T-REX provides a viable mechanism for detecting and reporting errors before there is a negative impact to production operations.
Introducing T-REX V7.3
The newest version of T-REX introduces numerous enhancements further easing the management of ICF catalog environments. The enhancements are split between z/OS 2.3 support and batch.
z/OS 2.3 Enhancements
T-REX V7.3 provides the following z/OS 2.3 enhancements:
- Full support for IBM’s z/OS 2.3 operating system and earlier
- Full support for detection of encrypted data sets
- Full support for ZFS clusters
- Full support for 8-byte TSO user IDs.
T-REX Batch Enhancements
The T-REX V7.3 batch enhancements greatly extend the product’s capabilities. These batch enhancements include:
- AMSEDFLT and TTSEDFLT default tables have been consolidated with new INI file support to allow customization of operational defaults by system ID.
- T-REX commands are now providing a message summary available to the PRTFILE DD and optionally to a separate SUMMARY DD.
- PRINT command that supports display of LOGSTREAM records by SMF type
- REORG command that provides “in-flight” status messages during execution of REORG phases
- MODIFY command that performs additional keyword validation
- RAPTOR Billing Report that has been modified to provide report clarity and readability
- ANALYZE and EXPORT BCS commands that issue a warning message when the number of current extents exceeds 90 percent of the maximum allowable extents
- INTEGRITYCHECK command that now detects and repairs Generation Data Group extension record count errors
- ICFRU now supports the AUTOSTART keyword to dynamically detect BCS back up and SMF data start date and start time.
- LISTCAT command now supports entry selection using DSNTYPE filtering.
- LISTCAT now provides the ALIGNDECIMAL option when using the DISPFMT facility.
T-REX was developed by the original Softworks developers who devised the Mechanic and later Catalog Solution over 20 years ago. The developers applied their collective experience to incorporate modern design methodologies and technology to produce the latest, state-of-the-art catalog management product available. Additionally, the technical support staff is comprised of seasoned veterans of z/OS and the ICF catalog environment. T-REX can repair any VSAM object (BCS, KSDS and Variable RRDS) with a broken index within minutes.
To learn more about T-REX, contact Dino-Software at 703-768-2610 or visit their website, www.Dino-Software.com. ETJ
Dino-Software Corporation develops enterprise-wide solutions for the management, analysis, protection, and repair of complex z/OS mainframe environments. Dino-Software has long been acknowledged for its superiority in ICF catalog management and technical support, helping organizations ensure their business-critical assets remain online and recoverable in a disaster. Learn more about Dino-Software and its z/OS mainframe storage solutions at https://www.dino-software.com.