Universal Data Manager | UDM is a unique, state-of-the-art solution for managing z/OS storage at the ENTERPRISE level. UDM supports Tape Robots and Tape Catalogs, DFSMShsm, CA-Disk, ICF Catalogs, DASD Volumes, DFSMS objects, Spool data and other related objects. With easy installation and automated analysis, UDM provides the controls, information, and reporting required to manage the dynamics of modern storage environments.
Key Features in UDM
Enterprise Level Management
UDM’s Graphical User Interface (GUI) provides users access to all systems in their enterprise from a single window without having to sign on to each system or sysplex separately to perform tasks. This enables users to run requests on multiple systems simultaneously and return the results of those requests to a single GUI window.
Command and JCL Management
By managing Commands and JCL at the enterprise level, users do not require their own sample JCL or Command libraries on each system.
- Create Enterprise level Command or JCL decks that are stored in a single location.
- Use variables to ensure that generic Commands or JCL decks are created.
- Submit Commands or JCL decks to one or more systems simultaneously.
- Return Command output from all selected systems to a single GUI window.
- Monitor the status and output from submitted JCL via the Enterprise level Spool Management facility.
Simple Yet Comprehensive Reporting
Users can create custom reports using SQL filtering to generate, save, and submit requests to multiple Systems/Sysplexes simultaneously, and to return output from all systems to a single GUI window.
UDM provides the following reporting features, and more:
- Powerful Group and Sum features enable users to generate summary reports, for example, usage by High Level Qualifier.
- Drill down technology enables you to mine data down to the lowest level. For example, when displaying Storage groups, you can list the volumes and then the datasets on the Volume. Or when displaying datasets, show details of the management class assigned to a given dataset.
- Export facilities enables you to export the report data to Excel, CSV, PDF files or HTML with ease.
- Integration with the Command and JCL Management features enables you to export data from a report to a Command or JCL skeleton and then submit the generated Command or JCL for processing.
Integrated Automation and Monitoring
Powerful Message trapping and scheduling features enable you to automate Storage management as required.
- UDM’s Message trapper enables you to define actions to take when z/OS console messages occur. Actions include submitting commands or JCL or running reports.
- UDM’s Scheduler enables you to initiate actions at specific times or when jobs end.
- UDM’s native pre-defined Message traps and Schedules minimize the need for customization, ensuring that a pre-defined Storage automation environment is available as soon as you install the product.
Quick and Easy Installation
The quick and easy installation process ensures that you benefit from UDM’s powerful features in minutes rather than weeks. No distributed servers are required!
- UDM’s streamlined Host installation process involves these simple steps:
- Download the product libraries
- Create a parameter library (which requires only five parameters)
- Start the UDM Server (started task) on each system that you want to manage.
- UDM’s GUI installation process requires only that you copy GUI files to a folder that all users can access.
Unlike competitor’s offerings, UDM integrates with your existing security setup. Just having a RACF TSO userid on the required system controls and permits access to UDM.
- Users can issue Commands only if the RACF TSO userid used to sign on to UDM has the authority to do so.
- Users can submit JCL only if the RACF TSO userid used to sign on to UDM has the authority to do so.
- RACF Facility class profiles control UDM’s facilities.
UDM 3.3 includes the following enhancements and more:
- Major HSM MCDS, OCDS, BCDS audit enhancements
- Unix System Services (USS) reporting
- Significant performance improvements when sorting or filtering large lists of objects
- Support for data compression when obtaining data from the hosts, which ensures faster load times.